Telephone Services

Communicate effectively

In any urgent situation, communication is essential. Telephones are still the fastest and often the most reliable way to reach people. If you’re a staff or faculty member, you are likely eligible for a phone. IST provides telephone equipment rentals, phone number installations, moves, feature additions, and accessories to staff and faculty across campus. 

How do I submit TEMS telephone orders, view telephone billings and reports?

To submit telephone orders, view telephone billings and reports, please visit The Telecom Expense Management System (TEMS). You will need to log in using your CCID.
Please view our training materials for more information on how to login and use TEMS.

How do I use Voicemail on my Desk Phone?

Please read our Voicemail Instruction Guide for more information.

How do I place calls from my university Desk Phone?

  • Placing a call within the University of Alberta campus requires only 5 digits! This means that if you are trying to reach anyone on North Campus, South Campus, or Campus St. Jean from any of these areas, you only need to enter in the last five digits of their university phone number. 
  • To make local Edmonton & vicinity calls outside of the U of A campus:
    • Dial 9 + the ten-digit phone number.
  • For long distance calls:
    • North America is 9+1+phone number
    • Outside NA is 9+011+phone number
  • See our detailed dialing instructions article for more information.

What are the options for voicemail?

There are various voicemail features available for you to add to your university issued phone. Please touch base with your departmental contact if you wish to add the following voicemail features:

  • Convert a message from voicemail into a digital audio file that can then be emailed to you
  • Set up an alternate greeting, which is an extended absence greeting that blocks messages from being left until it is removed
  • Provide callers the option of pressing “0” to be redirected to another number

Additional charges may apply. 

If you do not have voicemail, you can add it to your university phones for an additional price. If you wish to reset or change your voicemail password, you can contact IST.

How do I use telephone sets on campus?

There are a variety of phone sets your departmental telecommunications contact can request. Depending on your requirements, you can choose from the following list of phone sets available and their tutorials: 

PBX Phone Sets

VOIP Phone Sets

Analog Phone Sets

How can I find contact information for a University of Alberta employee?

UAlberta Directory (Find a Person)
The U of A phone book provides you with a directory of all university employees for you to easily look up the number you need to call.

Am I eligible for a telephone or cell phone?

As a staff or faculty member, you may be eligible for a wired phone or a university issued cell phone.

To determine eligibility, contact your departmental telecommunications contact for additional information and approval. If you are eligible for a desk phone or a university issued cell phone and have received departmental approval, contact IST for assistance. As long as you have a working telephone jack and are able to provide us with your room number and building location, we are happy to coordinate phone installation and setup.

If your departmental contact has approved a university issued cell phone, we will order in the chosen device and set it up through our Pay-Per-Use plan. Our Pay-Per-Use plan includes competitive rates for talk, text, long-distance and roaming through Telus or Bell. For more information, visit Pay-Per-Use Plan.

If you are looking for specific services related to telephone equipment rentals, phone number installations, moves, feature addition, and accessories visit us on the second floor of the General Services Building (GSB) in 2-10.

Are there employee personal/family plans available for Internet, TV and Mobile Phones?

University of Alberta staff receive a 30% discount on any TELUS Your Choice plan for the first subscriber!

Please visit the portal for monthly promotional offers:

Any questions? Contact your dedicated TELUS representative Anna Bieniak by email at, or the support team by phone at 1-844-888-4440.

You may also be eligible for TELUS Home Services offers. Please contact the support team by email at, or by phone at 1-844-332-3459.

What do I need to know about traveling abroad and roaming charges?

If you’re traveling out of the country, learn more about the zone information from TELUS and Bell

Please note: TELUS Mobility now offers US travel plans for UofA Corporate Pay Per Use cell phone users. TELUS Mobility website no longer displays the choices of travel plans that UofA Corporate Pay Per Use cell phone users could pick.  Take a look through the travel plans for US and International Travel.

Refer to TELUS Travel and Roaming or Bell’s International Roaming Packages for add-on plans and rates available. 

Please note: when you obtain a data package through your provider; it does not provide you with unlimited data usage (overage use is extremely expensive). Wi-Fi should be used in all locations available to minimize data usage and cost. If you will be using extensive data in a foreign country it is more cost effective to purchase a SIM card from a local cellular company in the country that you are traveling to. 

For information on roaming:

You also have the option to purchase your own SIM card before you leave the Canada as well as once you arrive in the country you are traveling to:

What if my current plan has not yet transferred to Pay-Per-Use?

As of October 29, 2014 all corporate TELUS plans have been transferred to Pay-Per-Use billing. For plans that have not yet transferred to Pay-Per-Use (i.e., all Rogers plans), please refer to the following document for details on available roaming packages offered through Rogers.

What Cabling Standards are required for Telecommunications during renovations or construction?

Information on this can be found on the IST Cabling Standards page.