Prior to the exam, students:
- Are required to follow the student code of conduct as established by the University of Alberta, which is located on their syllabi.
- Enter the LAC from the main doors at Education North 3-106.
- Must bring their ONEcard to the exam as it is required for entry to the Learning Assessment Centre.
- Are not permitted watches, mobile or electronic devices in the LAC (including smart watches).
- If students have any of these devices, they must be stored in a cubby or locker. Any mobile or electronic devices must be turned off and not within your possession while writing your exam.
- Are not permitted to have outerwear, bags, hats, headwear (except for religious purposes) or personal belongings in the LAC.
- These items can be stored in cubbies or lockers outside of the LAC. You may bring your own lock or borrow one from the LAC. Lockers are provided on a first-come first-serve basis. Students who borrow a lock from the LAC will be required to provide government-issued photo ID, which will be held until the lock is returned.
- Storage of items at the LAC is at the students own risk. The University of Alberta, IST, and all affiliated parties do not take responsibility for monitoring personal items.
During the exam, students:
- Place their ONEcard, picture side up, on their desk and ensure it is visible while they write their exam.
- Can only use additional materials with the instructor’s expressed written permission to the LAC prior to the exam start.
- Are asked to be respectful of this non-talking environment.
- Can bring water bottles into the LAC, but the labels must be removed prior to entering the testing area. Thermoses are allowed if their lids are completely closed and sealed and only contain water. Proctors will ask to see inside non-clear containers.
- That have questions regarding the exam, technical difficulties, or need other assistance, should raise their hand.
- May not leave the LAC, even to use the washroom, until their exam is completed.
- Are provided materials such as ear plugs, scrap paper and a pencil, only if approved by the professor. The LAC proctor will provide these items. Scrap paper will be collected at the end of the exam.
After the exam, students:
- Should verify with a proctor that they have submitted their exam and logged out properly.
- Are directed to the reception area to sign-out of the exam with their ONEcard.
What items are permitted in the exam?
The only items you can take into the exam are your ONEcard, and water in a clear container or a container that has been checked by a proctor.
Will I be allowed to use scrap paper in my exam?
Yes, the LAC provides and collects scrap paper upon completion of the exam. Students are not allowed to bring their own scrap paper into the testing room.
Can I bring my own pencil or pen into the exam?
The LAC will provide writing utensils.
I don’t have a driver’s license. What other forms of ID can I use to borrow a lock through the LAC?
Any government-issued photo ID or other form of photo ID will suffice.
What if I really need to use the washroom during my exam?
We recommend using the washroom before you enter the exam room to avoid this issue. However, if you are ill or it is an emergency, you will be escorted to the washroom by a proctor. The proctor will document that you left the room during the exam for your instructor.
If I don’t understand a question or don’t know a word on my exam, can a proctor explain it to me?
Proctors are unable to answer any questions related to exam content. However, proctors can make a note of your question and share this with your professor the day after the exam closes.
What if there appears to be an error in the writing of my exam?
The exam is presented as written and approved by your instructor. However, if there appears to be an error in the exam (not a content issue), advise the proctor and your instructor will be contacted to investigate.
When will my grades be posted?
The LAC is not involved in posting grades. It is best to check with your instructor on when grades will be posted.
Book your Exams
To register for exams or see what is available for your classes, please login below:
Have you used the LAC to take an exam? We’re interested in hearing your opinion in order to serve you better. Take just two minutes to complete this student satisfaction survey.