To improve efficiency and effectiveness, IST is upgrading IST centrally deployed classrooms and computer labs this summer. Updates will result in faster boot times for users, provide access to current technologies (Windows 10, Office 2016), and provide increased security.
For a list of common questions, visit our FAQ. View the schedule to see which labs and classrooms we're currently working on: Labs & Classrooms Schedule. Note: Schedule is tentative and subject to change.
What Changes Can I Expect?
Alongside the upgrades to labs and classrooms, the following changes can be expected:
There will be a new login process for authenticating to computers. Users will now be prompted to authenticate immediately upon using the computer. Once you have completed your session, remember to sign off the computer. Once signed out of your session, any documents or information that was stored the desktop will be purged and unable to be restored. Ensure that you copy all your material to an external USB storage device or to Google Drive.
Use of DVD and USB peripherals
As a result of the upgrade, the operating system will no longer recognize DVD movie discs and you will no longer have the ability to play them from the physical PC. You will still be able to play DVDs however, to ensure smooth playback, users can play DVDs from:
- An external DVD player
- A laptop that has the ability to play DVDs and can then plugged into the podium
An external DVD player can be booked through IST by submitting a ticket to firstname.lastname@example.org
. IST classroom support will then be in contact with you. If you are an instructor or department that frequently uses DVDs, IST will be able to accommodate classrooms that are frequently used with DVD players for the duration of the term. Please contact Tashie Macapagal (email@example.com
) and we can work with you and your department to find a solution.
Use of a USB key for small file i.e.: (PowerPoint, Excel, or Word documents) access will not be affected. However, users wanting to access large files such as video clips or large data sets through their USB key will experience extremely poor playback performance and is not advised.
To ensure smooth playback it is recommended that users:
- Copy large data files to cloud based storage services such as Google Drive
- Learn more about G Suite apps available at the University of Alberta here.
- Copy large data files to the desktop
- Note: if changes are made users will have to copy the information back to the USB key
- Play videos off the internet on mediums such as YouTube or Vimeo
Upgrading Windows 7 to 10
- Computers will upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 if the computer hasn’t been already upgraded.
Respondus Lockdown Browser
- Respondus Lockdown Browser will be removed from converted labs. An alternative solution to replace Respondus Lockdown Browser is currently under investigation.
If you would like additional training and/or guidance on the use of the classroom and lab technology you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Standard Software List
Below is a list of standard software that will be installed on all classroom and lab computers.
- Microsoft Office 2016 with Microsoft Excel Solver
- IBM SPSS v25
- Internet Explorer / Google Chrome / Firefox
- R for Windows and R-Studio
- ProQuest (Write and Cite)
- New: Google File Stream - for accessing files from Google Drive directly
- Adobe Connect (classrooms only)
- Skype (classrooms only)
Additional software not on the list above that was previously installed in a lab or classroom, will remain.
Please click here for a detailed schedule of updates to classrooms and selected labs (schedule is tentative and subject to change).
Note: Classrooms will still be accessible for use during their scheduled upgrade day. If you require the use of the classroom space, we recommend bringing in a laptop as computers will not be functional during the upgrade.
Labs however, will be closed during the upgrade.
Frequently Asked Questions
Submit a ticket to email@example.com using “Audio Visual Services - Equipment Rentals” with the following information:
- time required
- date(s) required
- class required for
Our classroom support team will then be in contact with options find the best solution.
Classroom support will exercise their judgement if a DVD player will be:
- Installed in the classroom on a semi-permanent basis for the term;
- Picked up and returned when the user requires it;
- Given to the instructor/department for the entire semester.
There will be external DVD players will play DVDs and Blu Rays. You will need to let us know if you require one or the other when making your booking.
Yes, there are region free DVD players available. Again, you will need to let us know when making your booking.
VDI sessions will be non-persistent, meaning, once a user logs out, the information is trashed and you will no longer be able to restore it.
You will need to talk to you Faculty’s Authorized Approver to follow your Faculty’s process to give visiting users a guest or secondary CCID.
Yes, if you require to use your email, you will need to authenticate as well.
No, we are not creating guest authentication.
Yes as long as they are IST provisioned.
Unless there is a specific requirement, it should be going VDI.
No, the AMX panel will not be affected.
- If the file / embedded video is in Google File Stream, the size shouldn't matter at all.
- If trying to play off a USB stick, right now it is difficult to put a number to what size is too large as the number will be variable. If you were to test it during a slow period (during Summer term) you would probably get away with a somewhat larger video because there are relatively few people using the network.
- Once students are back in session, the network will be far more utilized and the acceptable file size will likely be smaller.
- A CCID can only have 1 session open.
- If a user logs into a second machine, the session from the first machine will transfer to the second machine.
- The first machine will become available to login under a different account.
Stay up-to-date on which labs and classrooms have been updated. View the upgrade schedule here: Labs & Classrooms Schedule
. Note: Schedule is tentative and subject to change.
If you have questions about lab and classroom upgrades, please contact Tashie Macapagal, Project Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org