Google received feedback from users explaining that they use Team Drives for a lot more than sharing within teams, so “Shared drives” makes it easier to understand how you could use them. This change will not impact Team Drives' functionality; it is simply a name change.
The “Team Drives” feature of Google Drive will be renamed to “Shared drives.” This will impact:
- Drive on web and mobile: timing may vary depending on the specific platform.
- Drive for web users will see this change beginning on June 3, 2019 (1-3 days for feature visibility)
- Android users will see this change beginning on May 28, 2019
- iOS users will see this change beginning on May 21, 2019
- Drive File Stream: on May 31, 2019, with the Drive File Stream version 31 release, “Team Drives” will be renamed to “Shared drives” in the Drive File Stream navigation.
What you need to do
This change may require some users to update desktop shortcuts (scripts, etc.) for files that are linked from Drive File Stream. You will need to update these file paths to “Shared drives” after May 31, 2019 to avoid broken links.