In response to the spread of COVID-19, to help employees, educators, and students stay connected and productive, Google announced that access to Hangouts Meet premium features will be temporarily available to all G Suite and G Suite for Education customers at no cost until July 1, 2020.
This means you’ll be able to host up to 250 people on a Hangouts Meet call, get live-streaming for up to 100,000 viewers within UAlberta G Suite, plus you can record meetings and save them to Google Drive.
Learn how to use Hangouts Meet premium features
- Host meetings for up to 250 participants per call
- This extends the current limit from 100 to 250, supporting users joining from any mixture of video and dial-in options.
- Anyone inside or outside of UAlberta G Suite organization can join by selecting the link or entering the meeting ID. Uninvited guests outside of your organization must be approved by a meeting participant in your organization, including users who aren’t signed into a G Suite account.
- Live streaming for up to 100,000 viewers within a domain
- Streamed meetings have a URL that can be sent to others so they can watch the meeting.
- Only guests within the UAlberta G Suite organization can view a live stream. Guests in other organizations or personal Google accounts cannot view the live stream.
- Record meetings to Google Drive
- Recordings are saved in the meeting owner’s Google Drive.
- Recording is only available with a supported web browser.
- Live captions during Meet recordings are not recorded.
IMPORTANT: Dial-in numbers use US area codes, and long distance charges may apply. If you do not have a US long distance plan, request that the organizer add you to the video meeting by phone. If you have a poor Internet connection or are experiencing quality issues, you can adjust the video and audio settings to improve the experience.
Keep an eye on IST’s G Suite news to learn the latest tips, tricks, and updates for UAlberta G Suite. Additional information about how to use Hangouts Meet can be found at the Hangouts Meet Learning Center, and be sure to check out these 6 tips for better video calls.